Tuesday, November 8, 2011

ideas and dreams and things

So the other night I was in bed, trying to fall asleep, and I was writing a query letter in my head for the novel I'm currently working on (so so super excited about this WIP! like, I can't even explain), and I was coming up with these wonderful, catchy phrases that I knew, absolutely knew, would catch an agent's attention. Seriously, the stuff I was coming up with, whew! it would blow these agents away like a category five hurricane (okay, so maybe I'm exaggerating a little... it would probably be a category 4).

And then--curse my sudden tiredness!--I fell asleep.
And of course when I woke up the next morning I couldn't remember a thing.

I don't even know how many times this has happened to me. whether it be while writing a query or a scene in my head, or coming up with the Next Great Novel Idea. What makes it truly frustrating is that I know I've forgotten. It's like my mind is taunting me, withholding this vital info that could make. my. novel. awesome. Do you hear that, brain??

But just as there have been times where I've fallen asleep, there have been times where I've forced myself to get up and then easily churned out a couple thousand words of my novel. words that were so full of emotion and beauty I'm surprised I wrote them.

It seems I get my best ideas when I'm just about to fall asleep (or sometimes when I'm just waking up). I guess my mind is still in dream world, overflowing with creativity, but coherent enough to think of semi-plausible ideas.

Anyone else get their best ideas when they're falling asleep/sleeping/waking up?

((on a more random note: so I'm sitting here watching TV and a commercial comes up on ABC Family for their Harry Potter five day weekend event... and, uh, when did Wednesday, Thursday and Friday become part of the weekend? but whatevs, I love these HP weekends :)
also: late Sunday afternoon I glanced out the window and saw it was already dark outside. got very confused. thought "wow, it sure got dark all of a sudden!" then I remembered daylight saving time had ended and that was why. this realization completely threw off my whole day... which, admittedly, was already over.))

- k.

5 comments:

  1. Yes, and this is why I sleep with a notepad beside my bed, and my phone! I've texted myself ideas/scene notes/phrases at like 3 am before, when I wake up with a sentence stuck in my head... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it's happened to me. My desk is right next to my bed, so usually I reach over to grab a notebook, but there was one night that I was just so comfy and warm I didn't want to move and I ended up forgetting everything. I was kicking myself in the morning.

    And I hate daylight savings time. That's one of the perks of living in AZ, since we don't have to set the clock back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It happens to me all the time. I'll come up with an awesome idea as I'm falling asleep, or I'll dream something that would make a great story, and I forget it by morning. I should probably start keeping a notebook by my bed, but I'm so groggy if I wake during the night that I'd probably forget how to write...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ellen –- never thought to text my ideas to myself, that’s a good idea!

    Linda -- lucky you! I’m glad the clocks on my phone and laptop change automatically, otherwise I’d be in big trouble. I think the one in my car is still an hour ahead? Or no, I don’t think I ever changed it in the spring, so it’s actually the correct time? so confusing.

    Jo -- haha. maybe draw pictures instead??

    ReplyDelete
  5. It usually happens to me in the elevator at work or while waiting in line and then the phone comes quite handy, I send myself an email and feel better knowing that the ideas will not be lost.
    I try though to not speak my thoughts out loud because my co-workers may wonder what is going on :-)

    ReplyDelete